2 days left
- Job Type
- Full Time
The dental hygiene program at Georgia State University Perimeter College is looking for licensed dentists to supervise dental hygiene students in the dental hygiene clinic on the Dunwoody campus. SUMMARY OF JOB The clinic dentist is responsible for supervising dental hygiene students while they perform procedures permitted by the Georgia Board of Dentistry. The clinic dentist also serves as an instructor. The clinic dentist works under the direction of the dental hygiene program director.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS DDS or DMD degree from a Commission on Dental Accreditation accredited School of Dentistry. TYPE OF EMPLOYMENT Part-time, semester-by-semester position with variable hours and days to be assigned by the Program Director.
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS Current Georgia Dental License or eligibility for a Georgia Faculty License. Required Health Professional CPR Certification and immunizations for healthcare providers. Documentation of Hep B immunizations and /or recent titer confirming immunity. Documentation of recent TB test or chest x-ray
1. The clinic dentist will display effective interpersonal skills with students and act as a clinical instructor.
2. Medical consultations are required for a number of systemic complications. The clinic dentist will evaluate histories and request medical consultations, guiding the dental hygiene student in completion of the form. 3. The presence of a clinic dentist on the floor of the Dental Hygiene Clinic during all clinic sessions is essential. Clinic session hours extend from 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The clinic dentist will be on the clinic floor for the entire clinic session or until all patients have been dismissed.
4. Removal of calculus with hand and/or ultrasonic instruments can be somewhat uncomfortable to an already apprehensive patient. Determination of the need for anesthesia, as well as the type of anesthetic and the injection site will be discussed by the student and the zone instructor. The student will present this rationale to the supervising dentist who will facilitate additional thought processing by the student if necessary. The clinic dentist will confirm the need for anesthesia as well as the injection site into the treatment record as well as any special notes or complications after administering the anesthesia.
5. The student, in conjunction with the clinical instructor, will identify patients who have periodontal disease symptoms requiring more extensive therapeutic procedures than will be available in the dental hygiene clinic. This finding will be confirmed by the supervising dentist
6. The clinic dentist will maintain ethical standards; i.e. student confidentiality (FERPA), honesty, etc.
7. The clinic dentist will diagnose and prescribe according to the Georgia Board of Dentistry laws for dentists in the State of Georgia and will appropriately administer emergency drugs according to department emergency protocol.
8. Along with other faculty members the clinic dentist will confirm patient referrals before they are sent to the attending dentist or physician.
9. The dentist will consult (and follow-up in writing) with the patient’s physician when the patient’s medical history may influence dental treatment and require premedication.
10. Provide student evaluations of clinical patients, work ethic, and clinical skills based upon established criteria.
11. The clinic dentist will enhance the mission of the dental hygiene program
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Standard Examples of Work Activities
Mobility Physical abilities(including standing, walking, bending, range of motion of extremities) Moving around the clinic and operatories in tight spaces administering CPR, etc.
Motor Skills Gross and fine motor abilities sufficient to provide safe and effective dental care. Use of dental instruments and materials, administration of local anesthesia, etc.
Hearing Auditory ability sufficient to provide safe and effective dental care. Able to listen to breath and heart sounds, hear and understand auditory responses, hear cries for help.
Vision Visual ability sufficient for observations and assessments necessary for dentistry Able to observe patients and us instruments in the oral cavity. Observe anatomical and physiological conditions (such as normal and abnormal tissue colors) in patient’s mouth.
Sensation Tactile ability sufficient for physical/oral assessment and scaling skills. Perform palpation, detect pulses, detect temperature, perform other functions of dental examination and treatment.
TECHNICAL STANDARDS All Georgia State Univ., Perimeter College Dental Hygiene faculty must abide by to the Technical Standards for Dental Hygiene Faculty with or without Accommodations, set forth by Georgia State University Perimeter College, and the Dental Hygiene Program. Technical standards can be found at https://perimeter.gsu.edu/dh/#formspoli, and in the Dental Hygiene Program Manual.
SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY All Georgia State University Perimeter College faculty must abide by Georgia State University Social Media policy. The policy can be found https://perimeter.gsu.edu/dh/#formspoli.
DIVERSITY STATEMENT Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action university and accommodates individuals with disabilities. All applicants must comply with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Notice of employment will be conditional on background verification
Please contact: Dr. Risa Handman, Dental Hygiene Program Director, #770-274-5131 or email email@example.com.
Apply for Clinic Dentist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly